Friday, March 4, 2011

A self professed Gleek

Written by: Shira Webber
To be honest  Glee is a show that I never thought I could get into; I had no interest and didn't get it, until everyone at the office started talking about it, (you'd be surprised to know who amongst the Co-Co/JUMP staff  are gleeks). I can't remember exactly if it was Micahel Soberman's impression of Sue Silvester  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970yJGLpot0 or David Goodman's rendition of Katy Perry's hit single 'Teenage Dream that made me cave, but  this combined with my friends starting to plan weekly Glee get together's  left me with no choice but to get into Glee.



For those of you who enjoy their Tuesday night, 8:00pm Eastern Standard time watching Glee (8:20 if you PVR so you can skip all commercials) you know what I am talking about (there was a time in my life where i could totally relate and was more of a regular watcher) However for those of you who have never watched an episode,  I hope this blog inspires you to at least check out some of what I believe to be some pretty classic Glee moments, which of course lie in theme with the JEWDO blog and are obviously going to be my top 5 "Classic Jewish Glee Moments" the good and the questionable.

Number 5: A shout out to the Holy Land
Technology is booming in Israel and what better way for the world to see it than on Glee? When Artie gets a REWALK for Christmas and walks for the first time the first thing he say is t"It was invented by some guy in Israel," that some guy is  Argo Medical Technologies,  an  Israeli company.









Number 4: Jew-Fro
The Britney Spears episode of GLEE was the highest-rated episode of GLEE ever among Adults 18 - 49years.  I think it should be noted that the star of the show other than Brit herself was the character Jacob Ben-Israel a.k.a. "Jew-Fro".  This was the first episode that threw me off a bit with it's Jewish references. I'm not going to go as far as to scream Anti-Semitisim but Jacob Ben Israel's role in response to Britney's performance and presence as a sweaty, awkward, and compulsively masturbating Jew made me less than impressed, I was actually embarrassed...but maybe it's just because I'm Jewish so in my attempt to remain a supported of Glee I turned that thought around and reminded myself  that Glee's Ben-Israel is offensive because he’s immature and horribly annoying– not because he’s Jewish...right?
















Number 3: Puckerman
Puck was always my favorite Glee member long before I found out he was a member of the Tribe. Is it awful that Puck declaring his name as Puckerman and finding out that Puck is actually Jewish made my  number 3 spot as a classic Glee moment ? ( obviously overlooking the fact that his family celebrated Simchat Torah by watching Schindler’s List...no biggie)
"I'd like to continue my streak of doing only songs by Jewish artists." Puck Season 2 tells the Glee group when deciding to preform another Billy Joel song.
Number 2: Puckerman'isms
So now that its known that Puck it a Jew I think number 2 needs to be dedicated to my favorite Jewish quote said by Puck using his "Jewishness" to hit on Rachel;

Puck: "It was a message from God: Rachel was a hot Jew and the good lord wanted me to get into her pants"
Number 1: Grilled Cheesus

Finn finds Jesus in his grilled cheese sandwich and Rachel's  response takes the number 1 spot;
“I want this relationship to go the distance, but I need to know that when I’m 25, and have won a bunch of Tonys, and I’m ready to have intercourse and babies, that those babies will be raised in a certain way. I want my children to be raised in the Jewish faith. Both of my dads’ peoples were slaves once, and I need to know that my children will be free to worship in the way that I decide is right.”







So all in all it seems that Brad Falchuk, son of national Hadassah President Nancy Falchuk, who is a co-creator, producer, writer and director on the show has infused it with a fair amount of Jewishness ...so much so that it has even left me wondering if  Glee member Tina Cohen-Chang was given that name intentionally to make us wonder if she has a Jewish mother...making her yet another cast member who is an MOT...

No comments:

Post a Comment